Mummy's Yummy Savoury Scones
Main Index >> Recipes Index
- 2 x rashers of diced smoked back bacon
- 1x diced red onion (optional - Sarahs don't like onions very much)
- 100g x grated strong cheddar cheese (+ more for sprinkling over the top before baking)
- Oil for greasing
- 450g self-raising flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- Pinch of crushed sea salt
- Pinch of sugar
- 75g cold butter, cut into cubes
- Sauté the diced bacon in a hot non stick frying pan for two minutes, drain on kitchen paper.
- Add the onion to the same pan and cook in the bacon fat for two minutes until softened.
- Drain and set aside to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/gas mark 6.
- Lightly grease a baking sheet with oil.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into a mixing bowl.
- Add the butter and rub into the flour until it resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Add the sugar, the savoury filling and then add the milk, a little at a time, to form soft dough.
- Lightly knead the dough on a floured surface and roll out to about 2.5cm in thickness.
- Using a 6cm pastry cutter, cut out rounds and place on the greased baking sheet. Chill in the fridge for 20 minutes.
- Sprinkled grated cheese on top of the scones with a little milk and bake for 12-15 minutes until light and golden brown
- Best served slightly warm with crème fraiche mixed with spring onions.