Mummy's Yummy Sweet Scones
Main Index >> Recipes Index
- Oil for greasing
- 450g self-raising flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- Pinch of crushed sea salt
- 75g cold butter, cut into cubes
- 50g caster sugar
- 225ml milk, plus extra for brushing
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/gas mark 6.
- Lightly grease a baking sheet with oil.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into a mixing bowl.
- Add the butter and rub into the flour until it resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Stir in the sugar, and then add the milk, a little at a time, to form soft dough.
- Lightly knead the dough on a floured surface and roll out to about 2.5cm in thickness.
- Using a 6cm pastry cutter, cut out 8 rounds and place on the greased baking sheet.
- Chill in the fridge for 20 minutes.
- Brush the tops of the scones with a little milk and bake for 12-15 minutes until light and golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack.
- Serve with good strawberry jam, clotted cream and a pot of tea!